15.10.10

gibraltar

From Tarifa, I ventured northeast, flashed my passport, and crossed the border into Great Britain - that is, Gibraltar. Once a British naval base, the small, touristic peninsula is home to the landmark Rock of Gibraltar. The rock is unmistakable even from about thirty minutes away through the window of the car.

But more stunning than the rock itself are the views from atop the rock.
 

The border lies just beyond the airport runway ^
_

It was eerie walking into England from Spain. For one, they only accept pounds, and English is the common language. But just in case it slipped your mind, the following features of the city center Gibraltar's city center serve as reminders of whose land you doth step on.

-my personal favorite. i was overjoyed to even be able to gaze into the (actual, not online) store
for my very first time. Unfortunately, it was closed due to...Sunday? Lame.

_

I went to Gibraltar on a search for monkeys. I didn't realize that I would find them immediately upon my ascension of the Rock. Hundreds of "barbary macaque" apes (they are referred to as apes because they do not have tails, but they are actually monkeys) inhabit the rock, and tourists roam the paths and  are able to meet these monos locos.

 Lucky for me, there were tons of cute little babies running around!



 The monkeys live a pretty charmed life, relaxing all day and enjoying the beautiful views.
 But, they are pesky little creatures. I had a part of a baguette in a plastic bag in my purse, and when I set it down, this thief snatched it up as fast as a professional pickpocketer.
The monkeys are not scared of humans...but this young girl quickly became scared of them when this one tried to unzip her jacket.
I spent a wonderful three to four hours in Gibraltar and then felt ready to return back to Sevilla. This unique place is definitely worth visiting, but you don't need more than one day to see it all.

No hay comentarios: