8.3.11

Carnaval

I celebrated my very first Carnaval in the coastal city of Cadiz. I went by private bus (several private buses take University students for low cost) from 7pm to 7am. The entire city of Cadiz was transformed into a grand botellón (gathering in a public area to drink), and people take their costumes as seriously as we do on Halloween. I dressed as a baby (with three layers of clothing underneath my diaper and bibs).

See pictures below, and then read on for my opinion on Carnaval in Cadiz...



 

The crew:
 

The Pope: 
 
There was a surprisingly high number of people in religious costumes, specifically Catholic costumes. Interesting, seeing as that it's a festival related to the related to the upcoming Catholic events, like Ash Wednesday and Lent. But in fact, the costume is intended to break social norms and liberate instincts. The costume changes the natural order; it satirizes society and authority. So, I like to think that my baby costume breaks some social norms; I was one great big baby, an infantile adult. And there were a LOT of men dressed as women (which just doesn't happen much in the states), an obvious rejection of gender and sexuality as presented by society.

My favorite costume, a group of women dressed as the Hindu God Vishnu:
 

Carnaval procession (with turkeys on top...?):
 

Shrek and Fiona!!!
 

 

The pissing tree:
 

botellón:

I'm glad I went to Carnaval and I had a good time with my friends. But I returned filthy, phone-less and exhausted. The number of porta-potties was extremely low for the number of people there, so almost all men were peeing on the streets. I threw my disgusting shoes away when I got home. When it was time for our bus to pick us up, there were so many buses arriving at the same point at the same time, and so many people in the streets, that we waited an extra hour and a half to board. At that point (8:30am) I was sleeping with my head in my hands. Traffic controllers were useless.As usual, I was discontented with Spain's lack of organization and practical management.

What I did like about Carnaval is also what I love about Spain: people love to have fun. Dressed up for Carnaval were senior citizens and babies, teenagers and parents. And all were excited to be there.

No hay comentarios: