4.11.10

Montserrat

While in Barcelona, my friend Kathryn and I took an hour and a half train ride into the Catalonian mountains, specifically, to a monastery (Montserrat) atop the (Montserrat) mountains. Montserrat literally means "jagged mountains" in Catalan. We rode a cable car (pictured below) in order to reach the famed monastery.

 

"What is there to DO in Montserrat?" Well, apparently a lot, if you're a Catholic.


 Captured a precious moment...
Inside the monastery...

Monastery exterior: 
    


 proof that I actually DO travel with friends:
 

 mountain goat (and partial fulfillment of my childhood - and current - dream to 
photograph wild animals):


 View of the Catalonian countryside:

 "jagged rocks":


 made me think of God's fingers...

I understand why monks want to reside here. I got the sense that I was closer to God in those strange, steep mountains. Clarity of mind seemed more attainable so far removed from the rest of society. 

(Given, I was only there for one day. Not sure how long the clarity of mind would have actually lasted.)

No hay comentarios: