31.1.11

Becca's bloggity blog

During Becca's two week visit, I (as per usual) gave her a full gastronomic tour of Sevilla and Madrid. Here, Becca writes about some of the culinary highlights:

1. Tinto de Verano
I drank tinto like I drink water. It’s a delicious mix of red wine and a carbonated drink such as Lemon Fanta. I can’t wait to make it for my friends, but I'll miss it terribly when I leave. Only a year and half until I can enjoy tinto in the states.

2. El Botín in Madrid
El Botín is considered the oldest restaurant in the world, has long been a favorite among  famous artists. We walked down a very narrow, steep, brick passage to our underground table. It was possibly one of the best meals I have ever had: artichoke hearts with strips of jamón, a cheese plate, and roasted lamb.
(side note from Elizabeth: I was especially excited to go there, as the restaurant was a favorite of Hemingway's. He became friends with the owners, and in his novel Death in the Afternoon, write: “…but, in the meantime, I would prefer to dine on suckling pig at Botín than sit and think about the accidents which my friends could suffer.")


3. Tortilla Española (Spanish Omelette)
This traditional Spanish dish made from eggs and potatoes is great anytime of the day. I loved it on bread.

4. Churro con Chocolate
This isn’t the typical American churro with cinnamon. It is pure, fried, non-flavored dough, although it's not as fried or heavy as the American churro. The best part: it is enjoyed with a cup of melted chocolate! Many eat this around 6 a.m. after coming back from the discotecas. I enjoyed them at around 11 a.m. for breakfast, at the famous chocolate shop, San Ginés.

5. Berenjena con Miel
I know Elizabeth already blogged about this dish, but it was too amazing to leave out. Although it was not technically a dessert, it was so sweet that it was the perfect ending to my last meal in Spain.

6. Jamón Iberico
Although I never eat pig in the states, I couldn’t go a day without eating pig in Spain. This special type is only fed acorns. Spain has given me a new love for ham.

7. Becca left out one tapa that we shared together that I feel cannot be left unmentioned: capuccino de mejillón (mussel capuccino). Towards the end of a delightful dinner at Zelai, a boutique restaurant in the center of Sevilla, we debated the important decision of what our next tapa would be. As a compromise, we asked the waiter what he recommended, and he went into detail about why he loves the capuccino de mejillón.

What he said rings true: the capuccino de mejillón is a complete dish. Nothing could be done to make it more complete. In a small cup, a pumpkin flavored soup with tiny shrimp is covered with a layer of coconut foam, which first tastes of sweet coconut and then brings a surprising kick of spice. Laid across the brim of the "capuccino" are two mussels on a toothpick. It's a baffling dish - unusual, striking, and satisfying. Except for the fact that it comes in a small cup.

Pictured below: Capuccino de mejillón and tinto de verano




No hay comentarios: