22.1.11

NO8DO

 

I've lived in Sevilla for four months now and only recently learned the story behind "NO8DO", the city's emblem and official motto that can be found on street signs, flags, manhole covers, and bus cards, and almost anything you can think of.

The 8 represents a piece of yarn called a "madeja." When read all together, "no-madeja-do" sounds like "no me ha dejado," which in Spanish means, "It (Sevilla) has not abandoned me."

The emblem comes from an old legend about King Alfonso X, whose son tried to take the throne from him. The people of Sevilla remained loyal to their king. The allegiance of the Sevillanos prompted the king to create the city motto, "Sevilla has not abandoned me."

    
I find it quite appropriate, considering the modern Sevillano's very obvious love for the city.

NO ME HA DEJADO!



No hay comentarios: